Monday, September 15, 2008

New findings

Well as you may notice, I have a difficult time keeping on top of my happenings & doings in Blogger Land.
I have been very busy with research. I actually have been spending almost all of my free time looking up new family names. We are so lucky to have so much information right at our fingertips. I'm not sure about my place in the genealogy world, when it comes to the information I have been able to gather, but I do know that, for me, I have gathered a lot of great info. The odd thing is, I want to gather more & more. I would love to become the family historian, however, that would mean I could potentially become overwhelmed with ongoing information. I'm willing to to accept that risk. I would love for this blog to get out to all of my relatives, close & distant. That is another thing I love about the net. We all know people who know people who know people, so send this out, & then keep sending it out.
Recently I found a web site that has scanned old newspapers of my Dad's hometown. I actually found several articles about my Dad's family from 1951 to 1969. I was even lucky enough to find a picture of my Uncle that was published in the paper from when he was a boy. I was excited to show my find to my Dad & Uncle. From that conversation, I received some pictures of my Dad's relatives that I had never seen. What a great week that was!
I have been meaning to come up with a questionnaire for my relatives, so that I can gather new info from them. I'm not sure what questions would be important & which questions would be considered too private. Perhaps some advice from my fellow bloggers. What questions should make the list? Another matter that is of concern for me is documents. As a family historian, copies of certain documents are desired for proof of life's events, such as Birth, Marriage & Death Certificates, however, there are other documents that are great to have as well, such as Church Certificates, Divorce Decrees & Adoption Papers for example. The nice thing about living in this day & age is a lot of people have access to Scanners, so they can easily scan those documents and either email or save to a disk & mail off to me.
Well I would really appreciate any & all advice or comments. I look forward to hearing from you.

3 comments:

karamsey2k said...

Robert
When I first saw the article I thought it was about the paper route in SLC which I hated. By the next morning I realized it was about the route on Wilmer Ave in Anniston, which I really enjoyed. We would meet at a Rexall Drug waiting for the papers and enjoy 5 cent Cokes and look through the comic books on the rotating rack. The other boys were nice. The route was nice also and I would finish it in 20-30 minutes. On Sundays I would stop at a diner at the end of Wilmer and have toaste and butter with milk for 25 cents before riding my bike home as the sun was rising. Those were good memories. Thanks. Keith.

Amy Beagley said...

Rob!!!
I am so glad that you clicked to follow my blog because my dad never did send me your blog address! I'm excited to know that you are reading! Make sure you update so I can know what is up with you!

Amy Beagley said...

Hey Rob! I have decided to take my blog private. If you want to keep reading please send me an email at amersgurl@msn.com with the email address you'd like to sign in with and I will add you to my readers.